Dry Eye Clinic
What is Dry Eye?
Dry eye syndroms is one of the most under-diagnosed eye diseases, and yet it is the most common reason why patients go to see their eye care professional.It occurs when eyes do not produce the right quantity or quality of tears. Many people mistake the dry eye symptoms for allergies, climatic conditions or just eye strain.
What are the symptoms?
- Stinging, burning, scratchy sensations
- Sensitivity to light
- Excessive watering
- Tired eyes
- Difficulty wearing contact lenses
- Blurred Vision
- Irritation from wind and smoke
What causes Dry Eye Syndrome?
Dry eye syndrome can be attributed to a number of factors, including environment, medication, contact lens wear, disease, preservatives, computer use, blepharitis, ageing, refractive eye surgery, hormones and a low blink rate.
How is Dry Eye Diagnosed?
The dry eye assessment is an initial 30 minute private consultation with our dry eye specialist and 2 follow up appointments, this includes:
- Discussion of symptoms
- Examination with optical dyes to look for any surface damage
- Full explanation of results and management plan
- Discussion of management plan and product demonstrations by an Ocular Hygenist
How is Dry Eye Treated?
Tears must be distributed efficiently, replaced or conserved in order to provide relief. As dry eye syndrome is caused by an imbalance of tears on the eye’s surface, the most logical way to treat the problem is to artificially replace the tears and by so doing improve both quality and quantity. However there are other treatments available which can treat the cause of the dry eye more efficiently, you will be advised the best option for your particular problem and how to use the treatment.
After diagnosis you will be supplied with products to start treatment, which can include:
- Blephaclean® wipes or Blephagel®
- Hyabak® /Thealoz® eye drops
- Eye bags
- Omega 3 supplements
- Follow up call after 3 weeks
- Follow up visit after 6 weeks
- Follow up visit after 3 months
The clinic is at a reduced price for Eyeplan memebers.
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
B J Toye Optometrists
34 Rolle Street
Are your eyes irritating you?
Are they itchy or sore?
Are they very dry or do they water a lot?
It’s time to look at your tears.